The Dirty Dozen
One of the best ways to make small changes in your home is to be aware of what ingredients to avoid. Let’s talk about the Dirty Dozen; the Dirty Dozen is a list of twelve ingredients that we suggest avoiding when choosing products for your home.
1. BHA and BHT is an Endocrine disruptor and carcinogen and is used mainly in cosmetics as preservatives.
2. Coal tar dyes are carcinogens and have a heavy metal toxicity; they are commonly found in processed foods, lipstick, hair dyes.
3. DEA-related ingredients are also carcinogens; they are found in creamy or foaming products, such as moisturizers and shampoos.
4. Dibutyl phthalates are Endocrine disruptors, as well as a reproductive toxicant; they are commonly used in nail care products.
5. Formaldehyde-releasing preservatives are a carcinogen; they are used in a variety of cosmetics as preservatives.
6. Parabens are Endocrine disruptors and they may interfere with male reproduction; they are used in cosmetics as preservatives.
7. Parfum/Fragrance are carcinogens, and can cause neurotoxicity, allergies and skin sensitivities; they are used in variety of cosmetics to add aroma. Companies do not have to disclose the ingredients due to “trade secret”.
8. PEG compounds: can be contaminated with 1,4-dioxane which may be a carcinogen; this ingredient is commonly used as the base for cosmetic creams.
9. Petrolatum is also carcinogen; it is used in hair products for shine, and as the moisture barrier in lip balms/sticks.
10. Siloxanes are also Endocrine disruptors, as well as a reproductive toxicant; they are used in cosmetics to soften, smooth & moisten.
11. Sodium laureth sulfates are carcinogens; they are used in foaming cosmetics, shampoos, cleansers, and bubble bath.
12. Triclosans are also Endocrine disruptors, and can cause antibiotic resistance; they are found in toothpastes, cleansers, and antiperspirants.
What is an Endocrine Disruptor? Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that may interfere with the body’s endocrine system and produce adverse developmental, reproductive, neurological, and immune effects in both humans and wildlife. According to the Environmental Working Group, “There is no end to the tricks that endocrine disruptors can play on our bodies: increasing production of certain hormones; decreasing production of others; imitating hormones; turning one hormone into another; interfering with hormone signaling; telling cells to die prematurely; competing with essential nutrients; binding to essential hormones; accumulating in organs that produce hormones.”
What are safe and effective alternatives to chemical filled household products? Which products we can trust?
Young Living is known for its large selection of pure, authentic essential oils, but we also have a wide selection of safe, naturally derived, plant-based products for the entire home!
The Young Living Thieves product line offers healthy alternatives for all your cleaning needs! We have everything from hand soap to laundry detergent. You can feel confident knowing that we don’t use any harsh chemicals and the entire line is infused with the powerful Thieves essential oil blend.
You will feel empowered knowing that the Thieves line is pure enough for your family and still strong enough for your everyday life!
Everything you need to know about Thieves essential oil.
What is Thieves essential oil blend, why is it so powerful, and why was it chosen to be in all the Young Living cleaning products? The popular Thieves essential oil blend is a proprietary combination of Cinnamon Bark, Lemon, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, and Clove essential oils.
Young Living’s Thieves essential oil blend was inspired by the legend of four 15th-century French thieves who formulated and wore a special aromatic combination of clove, rosemary, and other botanicals that they believed provided protection while they were stealing. French authorities recognized that there was such value in this mixture that upon the thieves’ capture, they received a more merciful punishment on condition that they divulge the ingredients in their secret formula.
Thieves essential oil blend has a warm, spicy scent. Diffuse it for a fresh, clean aroma around the house or apply it topically for its cleansing properties.
•Cleanses when applied topically
•Neutralizes and purifies the air from strong odors when diffused
•Freshens any atmosphere when diffused
•Refresh musty carpets by adding 5 drops of Thieves to a cup of baking soda; combine well and let sit overnight until the oil is absorbed. Sprinkle over carpets and vacuum thoroughly.
•Apply Thieves to the bottoms of your feet to refresh yourself after vigorous activity.
•Diffuse it around the classroom or in your home for a fresh, clean fragrance and to neutralize the air from strong odors.
•Add a few drops to your dishwater or dishwasher to eliminate odors and boost cleaning.
Young Living Thieves Vitality™ was specially formulated so that you and your family can enjoy the benefits of Thieves essential oil internally. The difference between Thieves Vitality and Thieves essential oil is simply the labeling and recommended usage. The essential oil in the Vitality product line is the same 100 percent pure, therapeutic-grade essential oil as the topical/aromatic counterpart; however, Thieves Vitality is labeled for dietary use and is the appropriate product to use when sharing dietary uses with others.
Thieves Vitality benefits:*
•Supports overall wellness with just a few drops
•Supports the immune system
•Cleanses the digestive system
•Possesses antioxidant properties
Thieves Vitality usage:
•Add 1–2 drops of Thieves Vitality to a vegetarian gel capsule and take daily or as needed as a
•Take Thieves Vitality in a capsule to support your immune system.*
•Try mixing Thieves Vitality and Oregano Vitality for an extra winter kick!
•Take a shot of NingXia Red® with a drop of Thieves Vitality for a quick, spicy boost to your daily NingXia Red shot.
•Add Thieves Vitality to food to enhance the flavor of tea, oatmeal, granola, etc.
•Add 1 drop of Thieves Vitality and 2 drops of Orange Vitality as a refreshing flavor to complement your favorite beverage.
Did you know?
• Clove was one of the first spices to be traded and can be traced back as far as 1721 BC. It was one of the most precious spices of the 16th and 17th centuries.
• Eugenol, the main constituent of Clove essential oil, has been heavily researched for its beneficial properties.
• Eucalyptus originates in Australia, and there are over 900 different species of eucalyptus.
• Cinnamon spice has been used for centuries.
• The rosemary herb was known by ancient cultures as the herb of memory.
What’s your favorite way to use Thieves?
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
If you want to start using plant-based products, but are not sure where to start, start with the Thieves Household Cleaner! It is versatile, effective, affordable, and you can clean your ENTIRE house with it!
Thieves Household Cleaner uses naturally derived, plant-based ingredients and essential oils like Lemon and Thieves to give you a safer way to clean your home.
This all-purpose cleaner can clean just about anything and will be your go-to cleaner of choice. Use it on your counter tops, floors, furniture, windows, walls, in your oven, around toilet, and on almost any surface that needs cleaning! Wherever you use it, you’ll feel good knowing it’s safe to use around everyone in your family, including pets! Best of all, it is formulated without the harsh or dangerous chemicals found in many traditional clean products; it is made with a vegan-friendly, plant-based formula.
We love that this product is so versatile. You can literally clean everything with one product!