The Matticus Kingdom is at it again; another Tug-of-War Challenge. Join the fun at: http://thematticuskingdom.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/a-daily-prompt-tug-of-war/
Daily Prompt: Fantasy
by michelle w. on March 8, 2013
The Tooth Fairy (or Easter Bunny, or Santa Claus . . .): a fun and harmless fiction, or a pointless justification for lying to children?
So, here’s the Question for this round of Tug-Of-War:
Is telling your children stories about the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, and Santa Claus an Important Part of Childhood/Growing Up or is it Not Important/Lying?
And, here are the Rules:
The rules (because all games must have rules, except Calvinball, of course):
1) Read the prompt. (I know what you are thinking, “Reading, bleh, who wants to do that. But if you don’t read the prompt then you won’t be able to fully play along.” Plus, you’ve already made it this far, which means you’ve probably already read the prompt. Look at you go!)
2) Choose a side. (You have to pick a side in tug-of-war, that’s kind of important.)
3) Write a post that supports your decision or leave your answer as a comment. (We don’t need an essay, and we don’t give bonus points for brevity either. However, we will be your friend if you do something creative.)
4) If you write a post, link back to this post so the moderator can count your support correctly. (Since this is a Daily Prompt, the Matticus Kingdom will also be counting anyone who participates in the prompt and doesn’t link to this post or leave a comment.)
5) There is no fifth rule – just seemed like there needed to be another one – oh, wait, I know: The fifth rule of Matticus Kingdom Tug-of-War is “You do talk about it.” To anyone and everyone. That’d be great.
The winning side will be the one that gets the most support, and their reward will be the knowledge that they chose wisely and eternal fame across the kingdom. Like these people: Eggs:
Which side of the rope are you going to support? Fiction vs. Lying? Imagination Building vs. Silly Stories? Old Tradition vs. Creating Traditions of Your Own? Which side do you want to see splattered and floundering in the mud?
My side is that The Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and all such Imaginary Beings are fun and harmless fiction made-up for fun! That’s my stand and I’m sticking to it!
I think they are all harmless ways to bring cheer, delight, joy, and magic into a young child’s life. I don’t remember being angry when I learned the truth. I remember thinking, “Oh what fun! I will get to play these games with my own children someday”.
Picture courtesy of http://www.bobbiehinman.blogspot.com via Yahoo Images
It is all in fun, so chill and be merry!
You can view my post here: https://mauldinfamily1.wordpress.com/category/daily-prompt/
In answer to all of the questions:
1. I’m supporting ‘Fun and Harmless Fiction’.
3. Imagination Building
4. Old Tradition with some personal touches.
5. I want to see the grumpy, grinchy parents that say, ‘Fun and Harmless Fiction is a pointless justification for lying to children’ Floundering, Sputtering, Sliding, and Splattered thoroughly in the mud!
Photo courtesy http://www.izismile.com via Yahoo Images
Come on and join in the fun. You know you want to.